Personal Development Matters - A guide and step-by-step educational workbook for helping young people aged roughly 11 - 16 with complex needs to get to know themselves better
Providing extra emotional support with personal and emotional development to any young person, for whatever reason....this is the goal of the step=by=step workbook in this educational resource, complete with guidance for anyone who is undertaking tong-term interventions with young people.
The workbook can be used in or out of education time, with young people who have complex needs, including those who:
- are 11-16, or perhaps a bit older or younger
- have complex needs, and are receiving support and intervention from workers
- are being looked after by the state, (for them, it can be a useful prelude to doing life story work at a later date)
- have special educational needs including those who have statements, whose targets include improving behaviour, increasing self-esteem and expressing emotions more appropriately
- are in any other context where workers are struggling to adapt mainstream material for teaching the Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning (SEAL) to one-to-one or small group settings
The Coalition government may change what such work is called, and may even choose to cease declaring that 'Every Child Matters'. But there will still be young people who need the extra help and support that this manual can help provide.
The introduction can help a wide range of people to prepare for tis educational work, including teachers, learning mentors, youth justice workers , social workers. residential care workers, key workers and foster carers. Psychologist, therapists, counsellors and other professionals involved in long-term interventions with young people may also find it useful.